Application Download Links
Overview and Benefits
KACP Law Enforcement Accreditation Program
What is accreditation and what are the benefits?
Accreditation is a progressive and time-proven way of helping institutions evaluate and improve their overall performance. The cornerstone of this strategy lies in the promulgation of standards containing a clear statement of professional objectives. Participating administrators then conduct a thorough analysis to determine how existing operations can be adapted to meet these objectives. When the procedures are in place, a team of independent professionals is assigned to verify that all applicable standards have been successfully implemented. The process culminates with a decision by an authoritative body that the institution is worthy of accreditation.
The Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police Law Enforcement Accreditation Program is one of the most valuable and cost effective ways currently available to departments that wish to enhance overall agency effectiveness and professionalism. Accredited departments benefit from the use of consistent and proven procedures, clearly outlined policies, and efficient practices. In addition, accreditation serves to create a feeling of confidence among your residents that their police/sheriff department recognizes the importance of establishing and maintaining as high a degree of effectiveness and professionalism as possible.
- Provides a means of independent evaluation of agency operations.
- Provides a basis to correct deficiencies in the agency’s operations before they become public problems.
- Requires that agencies commit policies and procedures to writing.
- Provides a norm for an agency to judge its performance.
- Has the potential to reduce liability insurance costs.
- Promotes accountability among agency personnel and the evenhanded application of policies.
- Enhances the reputation of the agency, thereby helping to attract the most qualified candidates for employment.
- Minimizes an agency’s exposure to liability, reducing vicarious liability suits.
- Builds a stronger defense against lawsuits and citizen complaints.
- Increases the community’s confidence in its police/sheriff department.
- Recognizes agencies for meeting standards of excellence.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Shawn Butler, KACP Accreditation Manager, at (859) 743-2920 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in the Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police Accreditation Program.